Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Looking Ahead to September 11, 2022 --14th Sunday after Pentecost

The Scripture Readings this week are:

  • Psalm 71:1-6
  • Matthew 6:9-13

The Sermon title is Pray

Early Thoughts: Why do we pray? How should we pray? What does prayer accomplish?

Prayer is one of the central practices of Christian Faith (as it is in many other traditions as well). Prayer is a time to communicate with the Divine, when we talk and when we listen. Prayer is a time for us to silence our world for a moment and soak in God's presence.

In prayer we can sing our praises and our thanksgivings. In prayer we can pour out our grief. Or maybe we can shriek out laments and anger. Or maybe name our greatest needs. Or maybe seek wisdom and discernment. What else might prayer do for you?

In the Gospels we are told that Jesus regularly went off on his own to pray. Other than the scene in the Garden just before his arrest we do not know what his prayers were, we are just told that he went to pray. In Luke 11 observing Jesus at prayer leads the disciples to ask Jesus to teach them to pray (which is when we find the Lord's Prayer in Luke's Gospel). They know that this must be an important thing and as learners they turn to the teacher for instruction.

Prayer can take many forms. There is, in my opinion, no one 'right' way to pray.For many of us the piece we call the Lord's Prayer gives us a bit of a structure. If nothing else it links us to other Christians across the miles and the centuries. But walking the Labyrinth is also a form of prayer for many people. Or there are those who pray by sitting in silence. Or there are those who never use formalized sets of words but rather pour out a stream of consciousness type of prayer. Some sing their prayers (St. Augustine is reputed to have said that "[he] who sings, prays twice"). Maybe the answer to "how should we pray?" is more of a "what works for you and the time and the place" rather than a set once and for all answer.

This week we hear a prayer from the Psalms (a book full of prayers). We hear Jesus share a formula for prayer. In response we will reflect on why and how we pray.  Prayer is a key part of our relationship with God. It makes a difference. Which reminds me of this: [Source]

I got up early one morning and rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me, and heavier came each task. "Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He answered, You didn't ask," I wanted to see joy and beauty, but the day toiled on, gray and bleak. I wondered why God didn't show me. He said, "But you didn't seek.: I tried to come into God's presence. I used all my keys at the lock. God gently and lovingly chided, "My child, you didn't knock." I woke up early this morning and paused before enter the day. I had so much to accomplish that i had to take time to pray. 

 And now I need to go and prepare for Facebook prayer time for this Tuesday afternoon.
--Gord

No comments:

Post a Comment